[OSM-talk] voting ended? - population

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Wed Jan 16 10:47:04 GMT 2008

Irrespective of this proposal, which I hadn't noticed, I've been using
it for all places in my area for some time now - over 100 villages in
South Cambridgeshire are tagged. I suspect I not the only one. I am
tempted to say this is a de facto map feature and add it to the list anyway.

I think this is information that is usefully in the map data not as a
source of background information (where it would be more appropriately
linked to) but because it can inform map rendering - remember the
discussion we had recently (thread starts at
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2007-November/020261.html
) about what constitutes villages, towns and cities - Bedford and
Cambridge are much the same size, but one is a town; villages of a few
thousand are treated the same as those of a few hundred and so on
Renderers can adjust caption sizes or other symbols based on population
if it wants to if the info is available.

David