[OSM-talk] Deleted Place names in the Philippines

Martijn Verwijmeren cartinus at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 17 01:12:03 GMT 2008

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 17:49:31 -0600 (CST)
<kiyanda2 at uiuc.edu> wrote:

> >       Maybe if the database also logged the ip address
> >   of the uploader (waits for the uproar from the
> >   privacy people to subside), then all the edits could
> >   be found merely by searching the database using ip
> >   address and time frame.
>
> The mediawiki software logs ip addresses behind every edit and I
> haven't heard massive outcry in the tubes over that practice. I would
> imagine most people would expect the server to log such information.

Mediawiki logs IP adresses because it (can) allow(s) anonymouse edits.
Neither Potlatch nor JOSM allow anonymouse edits. Maybe you forgot you
had to setup a password and username when you started using JOSM? So
storing IP-adresses won't help you more than simply looking at the
username: ergo it would be just wasted bits in the database.

Cartinus