[OSM-talk] Render icons for parking areas

Lukasz Stelmach stlman at poczta.fm
Thu Jan 17 21:13:31 GMT 2008

Knut Arne Bjørndal wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 08:43:17AM +0100, Knut Arne Bjørndal wrote:
>> Sounds really good, I've been thinking a good bit about how to solve this problem lately, without really having much luck.
>
> I've now implemented an algorithm for finding a good center-point for
> areas. It's already commited to svn as revision 6390.
>
> The algorithm is explained in human-readable form at
> http://bob.cakebox.net/poly-center.php
>
> I haven't yet implemented handling of areas with holes, though I think
> I know how to handle it.
>
> I also have some ideas on how to further improve the last part of the
> algorithm, going from a set of points inside the polygon to a single
> center point, though I'm unsure how easy it will be to implement these
> in xslt. Suggestions welcome!

No offence but I think it is pointless. There is no algorithm which
can be applied to all car parks in the world and not producing at
least a dozen of ridiculously placed icons. IMHO placing a node that
will be drawn as an icon is twice as good as automagic script that
counts the position above the area.

1. The icon will be always in the most reasonable place because
human beings know better.
2. Nodes can be, someday, exported as POIs and it will be easier to
find a node-parking rather than area-parking.

These are my 2 cents.

--
Było mi bardzo miło.               Czwarta pospolita klęska, [...]
 >Łukasz<                 Już nie katolicka lecz złodziejska.  (c)PP

Nadchodzi galaktyczna wojna!
Sprawdz >> http://link.interia.pl/f1ce0