[OSM-talk] CLC2000

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 18 07:19:27 GMT 2008

Robin Paulson wrote:
>Sent: 17 January 2008 11:35 PM
>To: talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] CLC2000
>
>On 18/01/2008, Andy Robinson (blackadder) <blackadderajr at googlemail.com>
>wrote:
>> I have to agree that this might be a useful resource for establishing
>> reasonably current land usage. However the first two bullet points of
>their
>> terms immediately give me a problem:
>>
>> 1. "not to use the data/applications/maps/graphs for commercial purposes
>> unless the Agency has expressly granted the right to do so;"
>>
>> As OSM does not preclude commercial use we would need to get specific
>> approval.
>>
>> 2. "to acknowledge the source and display the link to the data provider
>(EEA
>> or any other data provider listed in the Data service). For all freely
>> available EEA data/applications/maps/graphs the acknowledgement should
>read:
>> "C EEA, Copenhagen, <production year>""
>>
>> Giving this level of attribution would be a problem. While we could
>include
>> the data provider name in the overall OSM attribution list we would not
>be
>> able to provide a specific link to them.
>
>why is this an issue? i would assume the link has to appear whenever
>some of their data is displayed on screen? setting a tag to some
>value, that then triggers a link to display at bottom-right should not
>be too much of an issue. or is it some non-technical issue?
>
>i ask, because this may crop up for some data sources being investigated in
>nz.

Agreed, if the data was purely being used as a raster back image then that
probably could be incorporated in the same way we do Yahoo! now, although
its not entirely ideal as we do get some questions about being part of
Yahoo! when we are not. The more sources that need to have their name on our
project is going to dilute the OSM element unless we are careful how we
present offered sources to the user.
I was actually referring to direct or derived vector data from CLC2000 that
ends up in the OSM database. For that it would be difficult to provide a
reverse link.

Cheers

Andy