[OSM-talk] route type relations bus routes and bicycle routes

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 10:05:57 GMT 2008

On Jan 21, 2008 9:40 AM, Dave Stubbs <osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk> wrote:

> Relations can contain other relations, but the cycle map won't render them.
> The cycle map will only render ways.

I think you meant that the cycle map will render ways, and *relations
containing only ways*, but not relations containing relations, just in
case anyone was getting confused!

> You can see what happens on Clapham Common... the 3, 5, and 25 all follow
> the same path across it. Unfortunately only one of the routes is indicated:
> http://www.gravitystorm.co.uk/osm/?zoom=16&lat=6702824.35798&lon=-16265.00202&layers=B00
>
> What used to happen is that all 3 refs got rendered one after the other, but
> then I upgraded mapnik and the behaviour change... we're slowly trying to
> fix this.

Yeah, it used to look quite good, but now it sucks. I'll look at
trying to fix it, but there's little mapnik documentation so it's a
bit trial-and-error. We're pushing the limits of what mapnik can
handle though in a number of areas with the cycle map - I've got quite
a few enhancements to the map that are dependent on changes to mapnik,
which is out of my control.

> The side by side spider diagrams that get used for bus routes would be quite
> cool, but you're right -- they'd be really tricky to render automatically

It's basically the tube map problem - see
http://www.stevechilton.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/osm/tube/index.html - it
would be great to render the lines side by side instead of
intermittently over one another (like the Picaddilly (blue) and
Metropolitan (purple) between Uxbridge and Harrow in the northwest).
But that would involve things such as each tile knowing which order
the ones to the left and right have the colours in, and lots of other
tricky things like that.

Hopefully someone with dollops of genius will sort it out for us!

Cheers,
Andy