[OSM-talk] walking routes?

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Mon Jan 21 12:18:29 GMT 2008

>I think it's the latter, the same as for cycling "routes" being the
>meta, rather than the physical ("cycleway"). I've thought about this
>before but I never followed it through. I really think that they
>cycling stuff works well, and it could easily be replicated into
>walking by using the idea of national/regional/local walking routes
>and refs/names, e.g.

>nfr = yes, nfr_name = Penine Way
>lfr = proposed, lfr_name = Wandle Trail, lfr_ref = W34

Talking of walking routes in a more general sense , i.e. not official long
distance paths but a favourite route/circuit e.g. the Old Dungeon
Ghyll-Pike o'Blisco-Crinkle Crags-Band-Old Dungeon Ghyll route in the Lake
District (excellent last day of last year's mapping party - a rare normal
summer day in the abnormal summer of 2007!) do people see a scope for
these to go into OSM itself, or best kept as a separate database which
Freemap currently does?

Nick