[OSM-talk] walking routes?

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Mon Jan 21 16:11:33 GMT 2008

>In many countries footpaths are numbered (but a trip to the local library
is
>normally needed in the UK to get hold of them for public footpaths) so I
can
>see that following a method similar to the cycle network should work well
>but might be a little more difficult to visualise in the UK and perhaps
>other places because of a lack of numbering on the ground. Footpath
routes
>are far more prevalent than cycle routes so some method of
differentiating
>them on a map needs to be found. Perhaps between paved and unpaved routes
>etc.

In the New Forest Freemap does this , using a custom tagging scheme
newforest_pathtype=narrow|path|track|gravel|cycleway, and renders each.
Might be an idea to try and come up with a tag which makes this universal,
needs to be more general than surface=paved|unpaved to distinguish between
the many different widths of paths.

Nick