[OSM-talk] Render icons for parking areas

Sven Grüner sven at schunterscouts.de
Mon Jan 21 15:41:47 GMT 2008

Knut Arne Bjørndal schrieb:
> Why not go for the automated approach? If a shape proves to be hard to
> handle for the renderer we can tune the algorithm and make it better
> for all areas at once, instead of individual contributors having to
> manually insert nodes which are nothing more than rendering hints.

I totally agree and wonder why people are so afraid of using this algorithm.

Why not just give it a try?
We're not sluggish MegaMapping Inc. When this turns out to be not
working we can disable it and within a few days time (when most tiles
are rerendered) we're where we were before - nothing is lost.

But the algorithm Knut wrote seems to be quite smart (discussion on dev
please) and is IMHO an excellent approach to keep the data free from
rendering issues.

I *propose* to implemtent this algorithm testwise!
+1

regards, Sven

Ps: Please apply this to lakes and forests as well, these are often more
fissured than parking places.