[OSM-talk] highway=stop

Jo ml at winfix.it
Thu Jan 24 09:45:44 GMT 2008

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2008 1:46 AM, Robert (Jamie) Munro <rjmunro at arjam.net> wrote:
>
>> We need a way to know where stop signs and give way (yield) signs are
>> and which direction they face. It probably requires a relation between
>> the node and the way they are on.
>>

> I think we're going about this the wrong way: the stop signs are there
> because one road has right of way over the other. In NL there is a
> stop sign but mostly it's indicated by markings on the road (a sort of
> teeth marking). I don't think anyone is suggesting we put the road
> markings in OSM also?
>
> We should be marking which road has right-of-way and then
> users/renderers can infer the "stop signs" or whatever from there...
>
> Have a nice day,

Martijn,

The teethed markings are not the same as a stop sign. They have the same
meaning as a triangle on its point, i.e. give way (voorrang verlenen). A
stop sign is internationally a red octagonal sign with STOP written on
it in white letters. It means that officially a full stop has to be
made. In the US it's best to actually also do that, cause they are very
strict about it.

I would also think the junction has to be marked with the stop sign and
a relation should be used to indicate on which streets the full stop
should be made and which streets have right of way. When the relation is
not there, I believe that it should be possible to deduce it anyway.
It's unlikely both streets will be of the same type. So minor and
residential will always have to give way to unclassified, tertiary and
above, logically.

Polyglot