[OSM-talk] Slippymap Hosting Recommendations

Kyle Gordon kyle at lodge.glasgownet.com
Thu Jan 24 15:53:24 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 23 January 2008 01:43, Bone Killian wrote:

> I have enough space to do this with my current provider (Omnis), but
> they have some weird limitation about total number of files, which I
> keep bumping up against.

Not a solution, but hopefully just an explanation. They're probably trying to
stave off inode limitations of their chosen filesystem. Filesystems have a
maximum number of files placed upon them at formatting time, and it's a
nightmare if they run out of inodes.

I run a proxy for informationfreeway, and it used to do a Gig a day of
traffic. The cache would fill up with millions of files, and could easily eat
up all the available inodes within a couple of weeks. Free space was still in
the tens of Gigabytes range, but no new files could be created.

Fun for all :-)

Kyle