[OSM-talk] Units convention (Was: Mapping canals)

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 16:32:40 GMT 2008

On 24/01/2008, Martin Trautmann <traut at gmx.de> wrote:

> m would be the default - and I assume it's a decimal POINT here (since many countries do use decimal commas). Since some distances might be above 1 000 metres, I do recommend a space as thousands separator:

A few days ago I was blissfully ignorant of the fact that there were
any unit suffixes at all in these fields, having assumed that all
mappers were storing metric units as implied by Mapfeatures. We now
have a messy set of proposals from which we need to find the best
outcome.

So _please_ don't let's end up also introducing thousands separators
where we don't need them.

Dermot