[OSM-talk] OSM gets mentioned in KDE4 keynote speech at Google Headquarters

Laurence Penney lorp at lorp.org
Thu Jan 24 17:49:01 GMT 2008

Artem Pavlenko wrote:
> You can also switch projections at high zoom levels.

This certainly needs to be done. World-size projections, at least the
new-fangled ones, are a bad choice for street maps, where the locally
undistorted property of Mercator is ideal.

I also propose we get tileservers to output polar regions in
Transverse Mercator. It's then up to the virtual globe to decide at
what latitudes to switch between this and normal Mercator.

-- L