[OSM-talk] highway=stop

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 04:24:44 GMT 2008

On Jan 27, 2008 7:30 PM, Alex S. <maps at swavely.com> wrote:

> Jo wrote:
> > A stop sign is internationally a red octagonal sign with STOP written
> > on it in white letters. It means that officially a full stop has to
> > be made. In the US it's best to actually also do that, cause they are
> > very strict about it.
>
> Not everywhere.  There is a maneuver known as a 'California Stop' in
> which a driver at an intersection marked 'stop' slows to 5-10 mph, then
> continues through.

That's a nasty rumor. ;-) It still means full stop, even in California. If
you do that in front of an officer of the law, you will regret it... I've
actually witnessed *bicyclists* ticketed for not stopping at a stop sign (on
a dead still residential street, near the end of a 50 mile Multiple
Sclerosis benefit ride, to boot).