[OSM-talk] "Crudely-drawn pint glasses"

matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk
Wed Jan 30 00:24:12 GMT 2008

Hey ho,

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 09:21:08PM +0000, Gervase Markham wrote:
> As always, forgive me if this is an old issue, but: I noticed that an
> organisation I have contact with has a map in their "how to get here"
> leaflet, which they may well have just copied from somewhere. I'd like
> to recommend they use an OSM map instead, but looking at the area:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.45561&lon=-0.96828&zoom=16&layers=B0FT
> I find that the area they would screenshot is covered with crudely-drawn
> pint glasses.[0]

> Asking them to install and configure their own copy of Mapnik seems
> somewhat unreasonable...

You could try osmps, and then convert the PostScript to the
required format. It has the added advantage, IMHO, that the
pint glass is much nicer ;-). It's not as polished as
Mapnik though, but easier to print. The styles need more

The latest osmps (still on my computer) does better things
with bounding boxes so the output from the SVN one needs a
bit of cropping to get right.