[OSM-talk] "Crudely-drawn pint glasses"

matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk
Wed Jan 30 00:24:12 GMT 2008

Hey ho,

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 09:21:08PM +0000, Gervase Markham wrote:
> As always, forgive me if this is an old issue, but: I noticed that an
> organisation I have contact with has a map in their "how to get here"
> leaflet, which they may well have just copied from somewhere. I'd like
> to recommend they use an OSM map instead, but looking at the area:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.45561&lon=-0.96828&zoom=16&layers=B0FT
> I find that the area they would screenshot is covered with crudely-drawn
> pint glasses.[0]

> Asking them to install and configure their own copy of Mapnik seems
> somewhat unreasonable...

You could try osmps, and then convert the PostScript to the
required format. It has the added advantage, IMHO, that the
pint glass is much nicer ;-). It's not as polished as
Mapnik though, but easier to print. The styles need more
work.

  http://dl.newtoncomputing.co.uk/readingex.pdf

  http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/rendering/osmps

The latest osmps (still on my computer) does better things
with bounding boxes so the output from the SVN one needs a
bit of cropping to get right.

--
Matthew