[OSM-talk] Nokia N810

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Wed Jan 30 12:02:50 GMT 2008

On 25/01/2008 20:23, Jason Reid wrote:
> David Earl wrote:
>> Has anyone got a Nokia N810? ... how easy is it to get at... a GPX file for the
>> GPS.

> Using the 'Maemo-Mapper' application is the suggested approach versus
> using the Nokia supplied "Maps" program (I don't have an N810, only an
> N800 currently but I do know that it works fine with the GPS in the
> 810). Maemo-mapper can export directly to .gpx (through the 'save track'
> feature), and as an added bonus defaults to using OSM tiles for the
> display.
>
> No working Java support yet, though there are a few people who've been
> working towards it slowly from my understanding. And I doubt that JOSM
> in its current form would be that usable due to both its resource
> requirements and the size of the display.

Thanks for that. I did get one yesterday, and it is a very nice little
machine, though I haven't been out with it to see how good the GPS is
yet other than to confirm it works.

I installed Maemo Mapper. Is there a way to mark a POI with it (and get
that into the GPX file)? It seems to understand POIs

OSM (Mapnik) is the default map background which is excellent, and a
quick tweak can switch it to osmarender.

I also installed a voice recorder application, so adapting the car
mounting bracket to my bike and getting a bluetooth headset, I should be
able to use it very conveniently for mapping if the GPS is reliable enough.

Pity about JOSM & Java, but Potlatch works.

The slippy map is excellent on it, though given the small screen it
would be nice to dismiss the extra stuff around the edge, like
informationfreeway.

David.

David