[OSM-talk] "Crudely-drawn pint glasses"

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Wed Jan 30 22:02:59 GMT 2008

Tom Hughes wrote:
> So it is reasonable or optimal for us to maintain an infinite number
> of custom maps for third parties that want custom maps but don't want
> the hassle of rendering them?

I'm not asking for that, either. What I was sort of envisaging was a web
service where you scrolled to an area on a slippy map, clicked a few
checkboxes "Yes, this area, with contours, without amenities..." and
clicked "render" and it took you to a new page with the map you were after.

I realise this is work; I have no expectation on any particular person
to make this happen. I just thought it would be a good idea that would
serve the map-using public better, and may prevent people photocopying
the A-Z or illegally screenshotting Google Maps.

Gerv