[OSM-talk] OSM icons (was: "Crudely-drawn pint glasses")

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at web.de
Thu Jan 31 01:39:37 GMT 2008

Igor Brejc schrieb:
> Is there somewhere a repository of totally free general-purpose icons
> such as this? I'm asking because I would like to extend Kosmos rendering
> rules with some nice icons.

The collection of OSM icons in SVN [0] is quite usable and should
contain most of what you need.

There are currently 6 icon themes:
- square big: 32*32, png, color framed depending on group
- square small: 16*16, png, color framed depending on group
- classic big: 32*32, png
- classic small: 16*16, png, used by JOSM (some have white background to
prevent "black icon on black ground" problem in JOSM)
- svg: scalable, svg
- japan: scalable, svg, symbolic representation and "limited in number"

You can have an overview (with license information) at [1]. The last few
weekends I was working to change all icons to be PD - but there's still
lot's of work left to be done here. I'm using openclipart stuff and
drawing new icons where missing (using inkscape to get SVG and then
convert and scale to the different png formats).

My main interest is having a complete set of icons for JOSM (ex mappaint
plugin). You can find the current matching of OSM features to the icons
at the JOSM elemstyles[2] file. Would be nice if Kosmos would use the
same icons for the same things as JOSM does.

The icon directory structure is hierarchical, first dir the icon theme
and then sorted by topic (different sorting compared to OSM, as the
icons originate from gpsdrive). Selecting a theme and keeping the themes
icon directory structure will make it easy to switch between icon
themes, and will make it easier for you to do future updates. For
example, JOSM elemstyles file just keeps the relative path of the icon
to the "themes root dir".

[0] http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/applications/share/map-icons
[1] http://www.gpsdrive.de/development/map-icons/overview_lic.en.shtml
[2]
http://josm.openstreetmap.de/browser/trunk/styles/standard/elemstyles.xml
> I agree with you about the pint glass. But I guess any contribution has
> to be appreciated if nothing better comes along :)

Yes, that's my model as well - for me it's better to have a medium
quality icon than none at all. I already know some icons that I would
like to improve, but the time is the limit.

I guess the icon quality will improve over time, if more applications
use these icons and more users and developers get interested in having
better icons ...

Regards, ULFL

P.S: I still consider Kosmos to be closed source, so be careful to
include any none PD icons into Kosmos!
P.P.S.: A gifted icon designer with some Inkscape knowledge would still
be more than welcome ...