[OSM-talk] Tag:highway=cycleway inconsistency

William Waites ww at styx.org
Thu Jul 3 15:34:52 BST 2008

On Thursday 03 July 2008 16:31:00 Michael Collinson wrote:

> In Sweden, paths I've seen are either unsigned or when signed,
> overwhelming with a blue sign for both cycle and foot.  Cycle-only
> paths are rare, and when I find them, I add foot=no.  I wonder if
> that is true for Germany and the Netherlands too?

In Germany (Berlin at least) you're likely to get angrily belled at if you
stray into the cycle path as a pedestrian. Virtually all cycle paths are this
way, and there are quite a lot of them (most major streets).

That said, I am not aware of a case where there are cycle-only paths with no
adjacent footpath or sidewalk.

Possibly it is better to remove implication relationships amongst tags.
Cycling is one thing, appropriateness of feet is another, no?

Cheers,
-w