[OSM-talk] Is it land or sea: how to map a swamp?

Alan Millar am12 at bolis.com
Tue Jul 8 20:55:14 BST 2008

I came across an interesting area which I don't know how to map or tag.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=22.066&lon=89.047&zoom=9&layers=B00FTF

This is the Sundarbans mangrove forest on the border of India and
Bangladesh.  The map doesn't look like much, but look at the map with
aerial photos like in Potlatch edit mode and it starts to get interesting.

I read that it is submerged for up to half of the year.  The Yahoo aerial
photos clearly show the forest areas, so I assume they were taken at a
low-water period.  Google Maps shows it as land.

Our oceantiles file has it as land, but our coastlines treat it as sea.
Our coastlines stop at the farmlands which border it.  During the high
water period, I suppose our coastlines make sense.

Does anyone have any recommendations of how to treat an area like this?
Any similar geography already mapped somewhere?  Thanks

- Alan