[OSM-talk] Misclassified roads

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 10 11:41:27 BST 2008

Steve Hill wrote:
>Sent: 10 July 2008 10:20 AM
>To: elvin ibbotson
>Cc: talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Misclassified roads
>

>I know that they are not unclassified, but couldn't tell you what they
>really are without actually going and surveying them.  So my plan was to
>retag them as highway=road so that it would then be easy to see which ones
>still need to be resurveyed to fix the classification.  But whilst doing
>this I realised just how many such roads there are and wondered if it
>would be better to just retag them all to highway=road and then resurvey
>them.

But any automatic retagging would change those roads which are truly
unclassified (and maybe have been surveyed by others) to highway=road.
Please don't do that.

If there is doubt on specific roads then either get out there and check them
or add an extra tag giving your reasons for querying them.

Cheers

Andy