[OSM-talk] Misclassified roads

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Fri Jul 11 10:34:48 BST 2008

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, David Earl wrote:

> I don't see the problem in that example:
>
> highway=residential
> maxspeed=50

Yes, in that case.  Although I think tagging roads lined with houses as
"highway=tertiary, abutters=residential" is better - really the only
difference between a tertiary road and a residential road is that the
residential one has houses along it, and you can get houses along primary
and secondary roads too so it would seem more consistent to move the
existence of houses along the road off onto a separate tag rather than
overloading the highway tag.

> (and personally, I use units - maxspeed=40mph - but that's another discussion
> we've already done to death; and I haven't been as rigorous as I should have
> been in recording non-default speed limits).

I've certainly not recorded any speed limits to date, although I probably
should do.  My priority has mainly been to get the roads on the map, since
the area that I'm in has had very few mappers (although my "other mappers
in the area" list is now full, which is a nice change :).  The absence of
any decent aerial photography also slows things down a good deal because
you have to go out and resurvey things you aren't sure about rather than
being able to have a quick glance at the photos.

  - Steve