[OSM-talk] tagging peat bogs in ireland

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 15:18:47 BST 2008

2008/7/15 Tim Waters (chippy) <chippy2005 at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> as some of us have been out mapping the Irish countryside, we've come
> across peat bogs. Lowland peat bogs mainly, often being used for turf
> extraction (for fuel, or peat for garden centres etc).
>
> Anyone mapped these already? What tags do you use? It's certainly
> natural, sometimes protected, and sometimes used commercially.

To expand on this - because it's something I've wondered about myself
- when tagging as seen on-the-ground, there's a big difference between
a bog being used commercially and a normal, untouched bog. The
commercially-worked ones have had the vegetation layer stripped off to
expose vast areas of chocolate-brown peat, easily recognised from
satellite images. Untouched ones are marshy and have heather growing
on them, but are otherwise of fairly normal appearance.

Is there precedent from open-cast mines that might show us how to tag
"open" bogs?

Dermot