[OSM-talk] M(')appare Milano follow on: the presentation and the translation in "English".

Andrea Giacomelli (pibinko) postdadaismo at libero.it
Thu Jul 17 15:55:39 BST 2008

[I will be posting the same to the OSGEO discussion list, from a different
address - so apologies for cross-postings]

INTRODUCTION

In Italy we are
having a lot of elaboration on the concept of  "sharing", as well as on the
relationship between "local" communities and "local" organisations with
"global" communities and "global" organisations [with the term "global" to be
intended as it used to be before the post-modern concept of globalisation was
defined].

In the bulge of activities and projects, I managed to make available
online the presentation I gave with a GFOSS.it/Italian OSGeo chapter in the
closing meeting of the three-month mapping campaign in Milano (code name M(')
appare Milano).

The PDF is available, in Italian, from the "Presentazioni"
section on http://www.gfoss.it/drupal/materiale

Thinking of the non-Italian
reading audience, and trying not to spend a huge load of time in the
translation, I sought assistance from one of the known automated translation
services. And this is what I got:

http://www.pibinko.
org/out/20080702_xche_en_lsd.html

I remember trying similar exercises when
such services where launched, and having hours of sheer entertainment...I
hadn't been trying this for a while, and what I read in computer-aided-
translation-English-with-no-review is *beyond all expectations*.

I even
discovered that one of the GFOSS.it board members is named Steven Coast
(Stefano Costa). I never realised this before today.
Possibly we have a new
character together with the "fake SteveC" ?

Also "Thankses" is not bad.

GETTING BACK TO THE MAPS:

Independently of  the amenity of the pseudo-
translation, I'll be glad to follow on or expand on specific points of
interest. I think there are some to consider ;)

Regards,

Andrea Giacomelli,
aka pibinko
vice president and media relations manager, GFOSS.it