[OSM-talk] OSM maps in 3D

elvin ibbotson elvin.ibbotson at poco.org.uk
Fri Jul 18 08:27:56 BST 2008

> From: Igor Brejc <igor.brejc at gmail.com>
> Date: 17 July 2008 20:19:02 BDT
> To: talk at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: [OSM-talk] OSM maps in 3D
>

> Hi,
>
> I've started playing around using DirectX in combination with SRTM
> data to draw 3D relief OSM maps. The plan is to add this feature to
> Kosmos. Please visit http://igorbrejc.net/openstreetmap/
> openstreetmap-in-3d if you want to see some initial results.

Very nice but it needs DirectX. I cut my map programming teeth on a
viewer for British OS maps which uses Java 3D (http://
britain.poco.org.uk/desktop.html). I can’t share it because of
copyright restrictions on the maps, but the principle would apply to
any map source including OSM. Why not use Java instead of Microsoft
stuff then it would run on anything. There’s an awful lot of us using
Linux or Macs - anything but Windows!. I like the idea of Kosmos but
- MS .net!!

elvin