[OSM-talk] OSM maps in 3D

Jannis Achstetter krippi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 15:23:13 BST 2008

Igor Brejc schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I've started playing around using DirectX in combination with SRTM data
> to draw 3D relief OSM maps. The plan is to add this feature to Kosmos.
> Please visit http://igorbrejc.net/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-in-3d if
> you want to see some initial results.

Yap, this indeed looks nice.
I did something similar very long time ago (was at API 0.4 times) and it
really doesn't look that good, I just thought I share this with you:
http://kripton.kripserver.net/software/v.in.osm/nviz_visual_osm_height.png

The picture shows Aschaffenburg, Germany. Main Image is landsat, green
lines are OSM-data (lines), blue lines are OSM-data (areas). Height data
is taken from SRTM.

The image is created using the nviz-module from GRASS GIS in linux.

Jannis