[OSM-talk] OSM maps in 3D

Stephen Gower socks-openstreetmap.org at earth.li
Fri Jul 18 22:52:43 BST 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 09:19:02PM +0200, Igor Brejc wrote:

> I've started playing around using DirectX in combination with SRTM data
> to draw 3D relief OSM maps. The plan is to add this feature to Kosmos.
> Please visit http://igorbrejc.net/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-in-3d if
> you want to see some initial results.

Wow - that's amazing.  One feature request from a hilly, but not mountainous
part of the world - can you include an option to exaggerate the relief?  On
the wall at work is a physical relief map of Oxford in plastic made by the
Ordnance Survey in the 1970s. I recall from the small print that the scale
of the vertical axis is three times that of the horizontal plane - and that
gives a map where the hills look like they feel as I cycle up them!