[OSM-talk] OSMXAPI

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 17:54:26 BST 2008

I've just implemented a change to OSMXAPI which will filter out and reject
silly requests (like highway=*).

The filter uses a combination of bbox size and count of matching elements to
determine whether or not to process the request.

At this stage it is a bit experimental and there is scope for fine tuning
what it accepts and rejects.

If you find that it is rejecting a request that you think is reasonable then
please let me know.  I want to find the point where all reasonable requests
are still accepted but silly or badly formed ones are rejected.

This should make a big difference to the throughput as previously osmxapi
would easily get bogged down by someone requesting the whole planet and then
retrying two or three times when they don't get a response within 10
seconds.

80n