[OSM-talk] Namefinder priorities

Robert Vollmert rvollmert-lists at gmx.net
Fri Jul 25 12:33:16 BST 2008

On Jul 25, 2008, at 13:13, David Earl wrote:
> I've thought about not tagging for the rendering (and name finder is a
> kind of renderer), but there isn't a simple algorithmic solution.
> While
> it might be possible to do some analysis of connections to try to
> determine when two things are part of the same, this is a very
> expensive
> calculation in what is already a slow process, which makes
> practicality
> difficult, though not impossible; but in the case of indicating the
> preferred branch, I think this is a matter of judgement and can't be
> done algorithmically from the information that's already there (I
> could
> do some guesses based on length of number of nodes perhaps, but it
> would
> always be heuristic). Doing that might be useful anyway, but I don't
> think it will provide a perfect solution in all cases.

An alternative to search=yes that might be more generally useful is to
group parts of a street into a relation (see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php?title=Relation:street)
. That would be an object you could point to. It would also be
possible to mark spurs with role=spur if that would help.

Cheers
Robert