[OSM-talk] OpenStreetMap Wikipedia article tidy-up

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Sun Jul 27 14:37:47 BST 2008

On Sunday 27 July 2008 11:26:48 Peter Miller wrote:
> I have given the Wikipedia article on OpenStreetMap a tidy up. Please feed
> free to make further changes as there is more that could be done, including
> added references. I hope that I have made is read better for someone who
> comes across the project for the first time. I have demoted (but not
> removed) the technical details.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenStreetMap

Very good introduction, I would say!

Just a detail...  I'm one of the maintainers of Marble, the desktop globe that
you mention as one of the desktop applications that you can use to view OSM.

It's true that Marble is part of the EDU suite in KDE, but you shouldn't say
that Marble is "for KDE". Since there is a variation of it that is Qt-only
and does not use the KDE libraries, you can compile it on any platform such
as Windows, Mac OS X, Windows CE, and various cell phones.

The problem with describing it as "for KDE" is that there will be lots of
people who run e.g. Gnome that will think that it's not for them, not to
mention all the other platforms described above.

	-Inge