[OSM-talk] Actually using OpenStreetMap and the usability of the current maps

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Mon Jul 28 13:11:32 BST 2008

On Monday 28 July 2008 12:48:56 Richard Fairhurst wrote:

> But I _do_ use OSM for cycling, because there, our map is streets
> ahead of anything else available. There is no better map of the (UK)
> National Cycle Network, full stop. Ok, ours isn't complete for all
> areas, but it is for many; the site is fast; the data's accurate; you
> can put it on a GPS. This isn't true of any other NCN map. And unlike
> the car trips, you can't use the NCN without a map: I could find my
> way from Charlbury to, I dunno, Llanwrtyd Wells by car without a map -
> road signs take care of that - but Charlbury to nearby Banbury on the
> NCN is really hard unless you have a map, because the signs are erratic.
>
> This isn't just my opinion. It's quite telling that if you look on the
> UK roadgeek site, www.sabre-roads.org.uk (dominated by motorists),
> they don't quite get OSM: they just whinge about lack of completeness.
> But the cyclists love it - I've seen very positive reviews on
> uk.rec.cycling, forums.ctc.org.uk, sustransrangers.org.uk. Right now,
> "the majority of the users" for whom OSM is _the_ _best_ _map_
> _available_ are exactly those who are using the "new and exciting"
> layers.

Very true.  My point was just that currently it's pretty difficult to set up a
mapping service.  The one that I know of -- the NCN -- is probably very good.
I wouldn't know, since it doesn't cover where I live. And so far I don't know
about any others.

I have toyed with the idea of setting up a map server for Sweden and possibly
Denmark, Norway and Finland with my own tile server, using the Swedish colors
and icons. That would be in line with what Frederik Ramm wrote. Would it be
possible to get the URL http://se.openstreetmap.org/ for that?

I think it's even possible to get some small amount of funding for that, isn't
it?

	-Inge