[OSM-talk] House numbers... One more suggestion

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Jul 28 19:15:46 BST 2008

Hi,

Karl Newman wrote:
> Given a street, I'd have to look through NN million nodes to find the
> closest ones

No. The nodes are tagged with street names, thus duplicating info found
on the way. You just need an index on that field, look up the street
name in the index, and immediately know all addresses entered for that
street.

THEN, if you want to know how many meters from house number 13 to house
number 723, you have to compute the nearest point on the nearest way for
13 and 723 and find the distance.

That being said, some people actually add relations to make things extra
clear (see bottom of KS page). The reason we don't force people to add
relations is that it seemed too much to ask - we'd rather make it a bit
more difficult for the data user than for the mapper. The Karlsruhe
Schema was made with mappers in mind, who enter house numbers manually.
Had it been a schema designed for importing data from another source, we
might have opted for a more complex data model, saying that nobody has
to enter it anyway...

But as I've said a number of times - I wouldn't feel the least offended
if someone else tried another scheme.

Bye
Frederik