[OSM-talk] Actually using OpenStreetMap - how to get vector data

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Mon Jul 28 19:20:34 BST 2008

Simone Cortesi <simone <at> cortesi.com> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 7:07 PM, Igor Brejc <igor.brejc <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The problem is fetching the data - the only viable option I see is using
> > OSMXAPI, but its server is overwhelmed and will limit the download size
> > in the future (from what I read on this list). Using planet dumps seems
> > to me a bit too unfriendly from the end-user perspective - they would
> > have to download quite a large quantity of data.
>
> still you can download data from some planet's country extract (italy
> is 22mb at the moment).
> find them on Geofabrik, cloudmade, etc...

I keep on downloading the OSM extract of Finland from Geofabrik and import it to
PostGIS with osm2pgsql every morning. Then I deliver the data through OGC Web
Feature Service with GeoServer.  Service works fine and fast, perhaps partly
because so far I have been the only user. Anyway, that might be one alternative
for OSMXAPI.  WFS clients are not very uncommon.