[OSM-talk] Split into "map" and "data" projects, was: Re: Actually using OpenStreetMap and the usability of thecurrent maps

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Tue Jul 29 09:45:36 BST 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 8:17 AM, Henry Loenwind <henry at loenwind.info> wrote:
> Someone wrote:
>> let's keep
>> the focus on filling up the database
>
>> I'll give 100% support to the 20%, the 80% should wait some more or
>> better still try to do some mapping, somewhere, anywhere!
>
> That sums it up rather nicely. OSM is only about collecting data, people
> that are interested in using the data are not really welcome very much.

I wouldn't say that was true.
Just that what few project resources there are should be concentrated
on helping collection and distribution of the data rather than
creating and running those end uses.

> So I propose to start a new project, that is about using OSM data only.
> Transfer the current renderers and maps to the new project, and maybe it
> would be possible there to et up a server farm, so people interested in
> different rendering styles can concentrate on the rendering styles and
> not on the problem of serving them.
>
> Anyone interested? That new project would first need people that have
> time to organize it (I really don't have), and people to raise or
> provide funding.

That's not so much a project as a service. And a fairly pricey one
too. You'll need quite a lot of hardware at your disposal and a silly
amount of bandwidth if you get remotely popular.
Cyclemap bandwidth is in the order of hundreds of gigabytes already,
and rising fast. You're talking on-demand which means you'll need
access to a lot of CPUs.

Dave