[OSM-talk] Milestone

spaetz osm at sspaeth.de
Tue Jul 29 10:22:46 BST 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:30:39AM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Strange t at h chaps they must have been, since *not* having a benevolent
> dictator is one of the key differentiation factors between t at h and
> Mapnik (the other being the - usually - lower turnaround times in t at h
> but the Mapnik camp is in the process of fixing that I believe).

I was that strange chap. Hi Frederik :-)

I was referring to the technical architecture for the most part. Not having someone who kind of oversees development makes it very tricky to get nice code. People contribute a little patch here a little patch there. Then, some woodpeck delivers a perl version that cannot be used as nobody fixes the island bugs :-P, etc...

Also on the style front. osma tiles are about three times the size, and every person chooses random colors. We've seen the result when trying to reduce to 256 color palettes. I wasn't suggesting that one guy should be deciding the rules, but rather one guy coordinating the stuff (e,g,  "this is how rules that make pub=disused work usually look like in osma....")

spaetz