[OSM-talk] House numbers... One more suggestion

Florian Lohoff flo at rfc822.org
Tue Jul 29 10:45:38 BST 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 07:12:54PM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] House numbers... One more suggestion
>
> Hi,
>
> > I added one suggestion to the "House Numbers" page. It's the eighth one.
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/House_numbers
>
> I find that very confusing.
>
> I'm using the "Karlsruhe Schema"
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/House_numbers
> and if you want to start mapping house numbers withtout endless
> discussions, I recommend you just do the same. The house numbers will
> even show up on Osmarender z17, albeit in a sort of "debug" view which
> will have to be improved.

I once had a look at the Karlsruhe Schema and i found it "ugly" from a
technical point of view. In my world one wants explicit links between
two objects but the proposal simply draws points or polygons "next to"
something which is not a explicit link. Adding a relation or an addr tag
just makes it more confusing as the point you draw next to a street not
explicitly pinpoints a location but the point of the minimum distance
between 2 objects which may be anywhere ...

I havent got any better way to do it but the proposal leaves a bad taste
in my mouth ...

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                  flo at rfc822.org             +49-171-2280134
	Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little