[OSM-talk] House numbers... One more suggestion

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Tue Jul 29 11:32:32 BST 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-29 12:02:34 +0200, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Tagging house numbers onto intersections or ways is just a lame
> workaround employed by many existing data sets because they can't
> model every single house. I have absolutely zero doubt that sooner or
> later, OSM *will* model every single house. At that time, every
> single house will simply be tagged with its address and that's it.

To me, it looks like a difference between modeling every house (and
adding some kind of address tag) and describing house numbers along a
way for eg. routing purposes.

There are other schemes, which could work out quite well I guess:

      119  121 ..    127     129   131 ...      137     139
... x1 ------------------> x2 -----------------------> x3 ...
      120   122  ..  128     130  132 ...       139     140

House numbers are complicated (in a city like Berlin, you'll probably
find non-continuous house numbers, and they not always follow the
even-odd-scheme, and the house number on the opposite side of the
street may even be in a completely other range...)

x1: housenumber_righthand=120-128/+2
    housenumber_lefthand=119-127/+2
x2: housenumber_righthand=130-138/+2
    housenumber_lefthand=129-137/+2
x3: housenumber_righthand=140-148/+2
    housenumber_lefthand=139-147/+2

I only picked two tags and overloading them a bit, overloading them
somewhat. It describes a starting house number and the common house
number difference on the right/left side of the street. At least for
Germany, that could describe house number distribution and the
right/left information (which I find *quite* useful!) well enough even
for the more exotic cases. However, it'll be somewhat of a pain
optimizing a way.

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw at lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:              Fortschritt bedeutet, einen Schritt so zu machen,