[OSM-talk] Chinese font problem

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Wed Jul 30 04:50:09 BST 2008

2008/7/30 Louis Liu <pttdog at gmail.com>:

> Hi everybody:
> I saw city names in China and Japan are not little squares anymore.
>
> Nice job.
>
> But some name tags are still little squares, like
> http://b.tile.openstreetmap.org/18/218682/114077.png and
> http://a.tile.openstreetmap.org/14/14537/6464.png.
> Is it font problem?

It looks like it's only been done on zoom levels up to 14 for place names
and street names, though motorway names don't seem to have that fontset
applied... Not sure if the rendering only to zoom 14 is due to those zoom
levels having been rendered specially or something... I looked at the
fontsets template file on svn
http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/rendering/mapnik/osm-template-fontset.xmland
it didn't seem to mention names for motorways or only using the
fontsets
at certain zoom levels... so maybe the live render rules are different...

It looks like it's a work in progress but it is looking good!