[OSM-talk] Actually using OpenStreetMap and the usability of the current maps

Steve Chilton S.L.Chilton at mdx.ac.uk
Thu Jul 31 10:12:49 BST 2008

Islands are named (on mapnik layer) if you use the place=island tag.

Steve Chilton, Learning Support Fellow
Manager of e-Learning Academic Development
Centre for Learning and Quality Enhancement
Middlesex University
phone/fax: 020 8411 5355
email: steve8 at mdx.ac.uk
http://www.mdx.ac.uk/schools/hssc/staff/profiles/technical/chiltons.asp

Chair of the Society of Cartographers: http://www.soc.org.uk/

SoC conference 2008:
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/cartographers08/

  _____

2008/7/28 spaetz <osm at sspaeth.de>

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 02:21:05PM +0200, Jochen Topf wrote:

> The biggest problem around place names is currently that there are
only
> a few levels for places: city, town, village, hamlet and suburb. And
there
> is no way to mark capitals.

As well as capitals, I'd really like to see islands named.