[OSM-talk] National borders in the British Islands

Thomas Wood grand.edgemaster at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 17:16:13 BST 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 4:57 PM, Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote:
> Dave Stubbs wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 11:38 PM, Shaun McDonald
>> <shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk> wrote:

>>> Here's another. Worcester Park sits on the boundary of 3 English
>>> counties
>>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.38053&lon=-0.24354&zoom=15&layers=B00FF
>>>

>> How's that relevant?
>> Is there a Worcester Park administrative area that you know of
>> straddling the boundaries?
>
> ACTUALLY it may well be that one authority is responsible for some aspects
> even where the area is in a different county. I pay RATES to Gloucestershire,
> but the Business premises are a Worcestershire postal address. Things are
> simply not black and white when it comes to abstract concepts like boundaries ;)

Yeah, but we can just ignore postal boundaries completely for now,
they're not administrative and don't mesh with the admin boundaries at
all in the UK.
Your example is reasonably common, my postal address and postcode is
Surrey, but I live in the London Borough of Sutton (so pay rates to
London etc).

Please lets not drag non-admin things into this, since it's
complicated enough as it is.

--
Regards,
Thomas Wood