[OSM-talk] [tagging] Approved: path, designated. Rejected: *way deprecation

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 2 22:43:43 BST 2008

Frederik Ramm wrote:
>Sent: 02 June 2008 10:30 PM
>To: Shaun McDonald
>Cc: talk at openstreetmap.org; Alex Mauer
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] [tagging] Approved: path,designated. Rejected: *way
>deprecation
>
>Hi,
>
>> I would also like to see the value bicycle=dismount, for short
>> sections where cyclists have to dismount as part of the cycle network.
>
>I should expect any good bike routing algorithm to consider footways
>as well, with speed suitable for walking. I'm not aware of any footway
>were you are not allowed to push your bike. Thus I would simply tag a
>cycleway where you have to dismount as a footway - I don't see a
>practical difference.

I'd do the same.
A point of note though that in the UK you are generally not allowed to cycle
on footpaths and indeed in most urban areas there are no-cycling signs on
many of them to stop you doing so. I personally don't agree with the policy
but we have had it for a long time and is the norm here, not easy therefore
to overturn without an Act of Parliament presumably.

Cheers

Andy