[OSM-talk] mapping resolution

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Tue Jun 3 01:20:51 BST 2008

Moshe Sayag wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Is there a way to merge these tracks?
> Is it a matter of the selected resolution?

Did I understand correctly that you have used JOSM's "Convert to data
layer" feature to convert several track recordings into ways, and now
wish to merge them?

If that's the case, the best method is to select one of the ways
(probably the one which has the most or most accurate connections to
crossing ways and so forth) and then delete all the others.  Then load
all of the gpx tracks into JOSM and adjust the single remaining way to
match the tracks as best you can.  If the road goes perfectly straight,
there's no need to have extra data points in the middle, other than at
intersections.

I generally sample data at 1Hz, but ways should have variable numbers of
data points, depending on how much the road curves.  "record at the
highest resolution possible, map at the lowest resolution needed to look
good" is how I do it.

Hope this helps.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"