[OSM-talk] Enabling communities to use OSM as a planning tool

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 4 11:23:26 BST 2008

Tom Chance [mailto:tom at acrewoods.net] wrote:
>Sent: 04 June 2008 11:02 AM
>To: Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists)
>Cc: talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Enabling communities to use OSM as a planning tool
>

>I've had similar thoughts for our project in Sutton (London):
>
>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/WikiProject_Sutton_England/OPL_map
>

>We've been involved in the planning consultations and initiatives in
>
>Sutton, and I'm making links with local transport interest groups. I think
>
>the most likely avenue for us would be to use Feature Server and Open
>
>Layers to let people scribble on a planning map, and to use a private copy
>
>of the OSM database to imagine wider changes like adding new cycle paths
>
>and changing the designation / layout of existing streets.
>

>The scribble map could be a service someone sets up, where you could create
>
>a new account and then have a new scratch pad to draw on top of the OSM
>
>map. It would be great if you wanted to lead on this ;-)
>

>The private copy has the advantage that you can just save an OSM file
>
>somewhere and use JOSM & Osmarender, or if you want to collaborate then
>
>you'd have to set-up a new OSM server copy. I think it's too much of a
>
>burden to rely on a "planning=toms_new_idea" type tag, though maybe
>
>"highway:planning=primary" would work?

It's the collaborative aspect that I was interested in. If it's just running
off the back of a local copy then its somewhat restrictive, at the same time
we don't need a pile of infrastructure or resources to develop it, its only
going to be a few routes in this instance. I also like the idea of being
able to simply switch item tags for planning to construction to final as
they get built, saves work and keeps OSM up to date.

Cheers

Andy