[OSM-talk] Enabling communities to use OSM as a planning tool

Fabrizio Giudici fabrizio.giudici at tidalwave.it
Wed Jun 4 20:02:33 BST 2008

On Jun 4, 2008, at 20:39 , spaetz wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 11:09:33AM -0400, simon at mungewell.org wrote:
>>
>>> One thought that occurs to me is that there will be many,
>>> disparate groups
>>> wishing to use OSM to plan stuff, only a very small proportion of
>>> which
>>> would eventually become reality. I'm not sure if it would be
>>> appropriate
>>> to add these features to the main OSM database.
>>>

>> I would also agree that it is probably not appropriate to add
>> addition
>> (non-real) data to the main database, as it will make the editor view
>> significantly more cluttered and confused.
>>
>> At present they can achieve the same effect using off line file and
>> merging layers before rendering.
>
> OpenLayers is capable of rendering local .osm data, so it's possible
> to have a local "planning layer" overlaid on the plain map.

I don't know what Simon had in mind, in any case I'm developing an
application where there will be travel planning, and it will also use
OSM. I think that this should be done locally, as others have
suggested (in my case I have a full fledged desktop application, so
there are no problems at all).

--
Fabrizio Giudici, Ph.D. - Java Architect, Project Manager
Tidalwave s.a.s. - "We make Java work. Everywhere."