[OSM-talk] Using Palm Software: CotoGPS

Lambert Carsten lhc.osm at solcon.nl
Fri Jun 6 10:46:14 BST 2008

On Thursday 05 June 2008 10:31:27 Arnaud Bocquillon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just discovered this very fresh and interesting project.
> As i want to join the community and help mapping my region, I started
> to search for software that fit my gps config (Palm handheld+BT338).
> So i found out that the best choice seems to be "cotoGPS".
> But as it's pretty new to me, does someone have a little userguide
> that should helps me to create traces and upload them to OSM? Or give
> me another good software?
>
> Thanks for any information.

You need to be aware that the Palm-cotoGPS-bluetooth-gpsdevice chain is
unreliable in my experience. I don't know if it is a problem with cotoGPS,
with my Palm or the bluetooth connection. But it's no fun coming home with a
half day's tracks missing.
My gps receiver is also a data logger (Wintec wbt-201), so I use my Palm
mainly as a monitor to the device. The cotoGPS is great for setting and using
markers and syncronizing the time (with Palm and Camera - for later
geotagging), checking your (driving)speed etc. so very usefull nevertheless.
The homepage should have enough info to get you started.
http://core.de/~coto/projects/cotogps/

With gpsbabel you can convert cotoGPS tracks to gpx tracks to upload to OSM.
http://www.gpsbabel.org/

OSMTiles is also worth looking at if you have a Palm to view OSM tiles on the
road, albeit in the early stages of development:
http://www.meyer-velen.de/openstreetmap/palm/
(site: german only)

Have fun tracking!

Lambert Carsten