[OSM-talk] [tagging] Medical centres, clinics, doctors and dentists

Fri Jun 6 22:54:39 BST 2008

Chris Hill wrote:
> Clinic can apply to other medical folks, such as chiropodists and
> physiotherapists too.

And physical rehabilitation, dementia care, psychiatric counseling...
the list might be quite a long one.

I'm coming round to the opinion that the different kinds of surgeries
are all just really kinds of what's being proposed in the rather
stronger Clinic_(Medical) proposal. But it is probably wise to
distinguish a dentist from a chiropodist somehow if they might be the
only ones occupying their respective buildings.

I think we should merge everything into Clinic_(Medical), either before
it gets accepted or after. Make that mean anything from a huge
polyclinic covering many disciplines to small doctors' surgeries and
dental practices.

So how to distinguish one sort of treatment or care from another?
Perhaps a merged proposal for "small to medium medical facilities"
should be something like:

   amenity=clinic
   medical=<servicelist>
   emergency=yes|no

where <servicelist> is a semicolon-separated list of values from
{dentist, doctor, chiropodist, physiotherapy, minor_surgery, ...}.

Opticians in the UK are more like high-street shops than medical
facilities. It would feel strange to call an optician a clinic too, even
if the upstairs consulting rooms are all separate and have something of
the doctor's surgery nature. Hmm.

--
Andrew Chadwick