[OSM-talk] Mapnik Tilecache Memory Error

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Sat Jun 7 17:14:57 BST 2008

Hi All,

I'm trying to setup a server rendering mapnik tiles on demand using tilecache.

It seems to be working intermittently but most requests result in the following response being returned to the browser when requesting new tiles.

An error occurred: failed mapping file: Cannot allocate memory
  File "/home/tilecache/app/TileCache/Service.py", line 221, in modPythonHandler
    host )
  File "/home/tilecache/app/TileCache/Service.py", line 205, in dispatchRequest
    return self.renderTile(tile, params.has_key('FORCE'))
  File "/home/tilecache/app/TileCache/Service.py", line 138, in renderTile
    data = layer.render(tile)
  File "/home/tilecache/app/TileCache/Layer.py", line 411, in render
    return self.renderTile(tile)
  File "/home/tilecache/app/TileCache/Layers/Mapnik.py", line 38, in renderTile
    mapnik.load_map(m,self.mapfile)

If I refresh the tile it eventually gets generated but sometimes takes several tries.  The apache access_log shows the request as a 500.  The apache error_log doesn't contain anything.  I have the PythonDebug directive set to On.

Any ideas what is causing this?

Regards,
Brett