[OSM-talk] [tagging] noname streets

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Mon Jun 9 19:52:14 BST 2008

On 9 Jun 2008, at 19:38, Alex Mauer wrote:

> Dave Stubbs wrote:
>
>> We have literally thousands of miles of unnamed roads in London...
>> and
>> the vast, vast majority of these /should/ have names. And I'm going
>> go try and fix them, and would like to know when not to bother.
>
> When it's a single road or far out of the way of where you're mapping,
> would be my suggestion.  It's probably fine to go a few blocks out of
> the way to check out one unnamed road, and probably fine to go few
> mile
> or two out of the way to check a whole neighborhood of unnamed
> roads.  I
> for one will not be going 100 miles out of the way to check an unnamed
> road (or indeed to map at all).  It's a judgment call, so your mileage
> may vary. No pun intended.

Take a look at
<http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~random/no-names/?zoom=15&lat=6718359.62403&lon=859.10713&layers=B000

You will find lots of unnamed roads highlighted.
We'll be holding a mapping party there on Wednesday evening to name
the streets. You are welcome to join us. This is one side effect of
the Yahoo Tracers. Hence why we need to do this mapping.

>> This is one of those cases where we have actually identified a
>> problem
>> and are figuring out how to fix it, rather than just inventing crap
>> for the sake of it.
>
> Good!  Karl suggested using the "reviewed" tag, and I agree with that.
> Mark all unnamed roads in the area you're mapping with "reviewed=no",
> and then once you've reviewed them, delete the tag.  I just don't
> see a
> need to mark out that the name specifically has been reviewed.

That requires a mass data change, and causes a significant jump in
data. This effectively needs to be done for all Yahoo traced areas. It
would be far simpler to say unnamed=true.

Shaun