[OSM-talk] Rendering of tracktype

Frank Sautter openstreetmap at sautter.com
Wed Jun 11 10:07:29 BST 2008

Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> I am wondering why mapnik is makeing no attempt to render the
>> different tracktypes we have in our mapdata.
> It's because the Mapnik layer aims to be a nice looking map and not
> one that "has it all".
well, i think obeying the tracktype would make the map nicer, as all
those tractor trails (tracktype 4 or 5) would not appear so dominant on
a map in a rural or forest area and one could more easily decide which
track to use for a family bicycle tour or when mountainbiking.

just take a look at this (my) area where half of those dashed brown
lines are grade 4 or 5 and would not be that dominant on the map (just
compare them to the highway=service).
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=48.6327&lon=9.0058&zoom=13

Sven Geggus wrote:
> Despite of this it would IMO be still much mor appropriate to render
> tracktype=grade1 in the same form as highway=service.
i agree with you!
my idea of how this should be rendered is:
grade1: just like highway=service
grade2: continous brown line (maybe less bold than tracks are currently
rendered)
grade3: dashed brown line (the current style for tracks, maybe less bold)
grade4: dash dotted brown line (appearing at higher zoom)
grade5: dotted line (appearing at higher zoom)

frank