[OSM-talk] [OT] OSM based photo catalogue

elvin ibbotson elvin.ibbotson at poco.org.uk
Wed Jun 11 14:40:25 BST 2008

> From: Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk>
> Date: 11 June 2008 12:30:59 BDT
> To: talk at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] [OT] OSM based photo catalogue
>

> Part of what I'm working on with Freemap (www.free-map.org.uk) is
> developing mobile software (Freemap Mobile, see post a few days
> ago) to
> allow people to take photos of countryside locations. These could
> be just
> for interest, but also for direction finding, e.g. if you're out in
> the
> country and get lost, you can fire up the app on your phone and
> look at a
> (possibly annotated) photo of where you're supposed to be.
>
> Nick

My 'mom' mobile app allows places and waypoints to have photos (and
audio recordings) linked to them. This was intended to aid data
collection but if someone implemented photos (and audio notes?) in
OSM it shouldn't be difficult to adapt mom to it.

> From: Rory McCann <rory at technomancy.org>
> Date: 11 June 2008 12:37:21 BDT
> To: Rainer Dorsch <rdorsch at web.de>
> Cc: talk at openstreetmap.org
> Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] [OT] OSM based photo catalogue
>
> A service like flickr can do a lot of this. It parses the GPS
> details in files. It only costs about US$20 for 1 year and you get
> infinite uploads of photos. You can't really beat that.
>
> Rory

locr is another existing service, but it's the idea if integrating
photos into OSM which appeals.

elvin