[OSM-talk] Rendering of tracktype

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Thu Jun 12 10:00:00 BST 2008

>> i agree with you!
>> my idea of how this should be rendered is:
>> grade1: just like highway=service
>> [...]

>It's worth noting that tracktype is not a universally welcome tag - a
>lot of people think having an arbitrary scale isn't very "OSM-like",
>and that it's better to tag specific characteristics. We don't
>necessarily have anything better, of course.

There is the optional surface=gravel tag to indicate a gravel surface for
a track.
A related tag for paths, rather than tracks, is width=narrow.

See
http://www.free-map.org.uk/freemap/index.php?lat=50.84&lon=-1.42&zoom=14
for some example rendering of  tracks/paths of different widths.
Everything on there is a permissive bridleway (route accessible to horses,
but):

the magenta dashed lines enclosed by grey dashed lines are tracks
the magenta dashed lines without the grey lines are paths
the narrower magenta dotted lines are narrower paths

I have chosen not to show gravel tracks differently but it could easily be
done.

Nick